Latest News

Tuesdays are for Partying

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 , Posted by Unknown at 2:02 PM

Last night I rolled up to Newport Beach with Nate Dollarhite and Johnny Perkins to attend the GoPlay Games wrap party for their forth coming title, Popple. (Get ready kids, I'm in a linky mood...) I had the pleasure of meeting most of team from GoPlay at this years Game Developers Conference. Ever since, we've gotten together weekly for a game development mixer put together by Jim Rivers, of Obsidian Entertainment. Jim's a solid guy, who really cares about people. As a result, what started off as 8 people gathering for a few drinks after work, has spawned into a party that takes over the entire patio area of the Auld Dubliner in Tustin, CA every Wednesday night.

But this is a post about parties on Tuesdays.

A lot of the crowd celebrating with GoPlay, are the same that you'll find at Jim's 'Beer Wednesday' mixer. As a result, it's a pretty tight crowd of game industry types. It's really impressive to see a bunch of game industry rookies form their own studio, and follow all the way through to a completed comercial product.

On our way home, we got a call from a friend at Rockstar San Diego that they were having a company party. Far be it from me to pass up an opportunity to network, and far be it from my friends to pass up free drinks. While there the converstaion turned to perosnal projects. One of the Technical artist there pitched us an idea he's working on, which honeslty sounded pretty fun. It should be noted that the three of us are already in the planning phases of our own title that will not only be fun, but with which we hope to raise the bar for interactivity and character devolpment in an online game. I can't say much more than that without tipping my hand, but I'm really excited to be a part of this project. I feel like I'm working with a team of geniuses.

Last night's adventures were a real boon to my motivation. Seeing friends reach completion on a project, and seeing that my skills are in demand for similar projects was a pat on the back, and a push in the right direction.

Before I sign off I wanted to throw another thank you out to Jon Rick (and in case you didn't know, you've SEO'd your way to the top of google's results for "Jon Rick.") Jon's been a long time friend, and invaluable resouce throughout college, my early career, and on all the personal and professional projects we've had the chance to work on together. A while back he set me up with a little tool he'd created that basically emails me info on the people who visit my website. In the past week I've had visits from Crytek, 2K Boston, 2K Marin, and ChAIR Ent. It's clear to me now that I'm attracting the right sort of attention, now it's up to me to beef up my work, and impress them.

I'm turbo-charged and ready to go.

Currently have 0 comments:

Leave a Reply

Post a Comment

Bam! Have something Awesome to say? Put it here.