Latest News

S&W 500 Update! Finally!

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 , Posted by Unknown at 10:26 PM


Normal-Map-Comparison1
Originally uploaded by mcbradd

After posting my WIP on Polycount it was immediately pointed out to me how much I still had to learn before tackling this seemingly simple project.

So, I've spent the last few weeks learning about Normal mapping workflows, more efficient Sub-Division surface modeling, and filling in all sorts of holes in my personal knowledge base.

One of my biggest problems was glaring errors in my normal maps. Nasty black lines on all my edges. The answer was simple, so I'll pass it along to any would-be 3d artists that may be reading this:
Anywhere there is a hard edge on your model, you need to break up in your UV layout. If you have hard edges touching, your bake is going to fight and guess over which Normal is correct, and hence- Ugly black lines.

Currently have 0 comments:

Leave a Reply

Post a Comment

Bam! Have something Awesome to say? Put it here.