Latest News

A fun game

Saturday, July 19, 2008 , Posted by Unknown at 6:29 AM

Every month or so I get an great idea for a website I'd like to start. I have the same long shot dream as every other iNerd out there, that the combination of the right idea, right timing, and right domain name will lead to overnight fame, and a pile of cash that would make Scrooge McDuck envious.

Sadly, despite my incredible ideas and amazing timing, the right domain name is invariably taken. Godaddy.com is my arch-nemesis. So I play a little game looking for an acceptable site name. Along the way you come across all sorts of weird and funny stuff. Like who actually registered  dotcom.com? Network solutions, that's who. And they've made a small fortune knocking off Godaddy's success. Recently a new extension .me launched. Your going to see all sorts of sites popping up like "chat.me" and "blog.me" popping up in the near future. But who already registered "dotme.me?" I think you're missing the point on why "dotcom.com" was successful... plus, my arch-nemesis already pretty much has a monopoly on the .me market...

I hear that in the near future you'll be able to register your own extensions, ".whateveryouwant." I can't wait to see how silly web addresses get after that...

Really, all this started because I was interested to see how TV.com was allowed to have just two letter before its .com, while the rest of us petty domain registrars have to use 3+ letters. Then I found out that originally single letters were allowed, like Z.com, but have since been banned, so the only surviving single letter domains are those that have been grandfathered in from the ancient webs...

Boring to you, fascinating to me.

Currently have 0 comments:

Leave a Reply

Post a Comment

Bam! Have something Awesome to say? Put it here.