Latest News

You must be joking.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 , Posted by Unknown at 6:13 PM

Install Silverlight? You're joking, right?

I'm not a Microsoft hater. Quite the opposite really. I love my Zune (even after inadvertently smashing the screen. boo.) I love my Pocket PC and I love Windows Mobile 6.1. I even love Vista. That's right, I said it, VISTA! For all you complainers out there, yes Vista wasn't designed to run on your hand-me-down computer from 5 years ago. Yes, you're going to have to get used to the way things are organized. But guess what? You're going to spend a lot less of my time fixing the stuff your computer illiteracy broke. User Access Control is pretty much amazing. It's a simple idea that eliminates all the loop hole exploits present in XP.

But this post isn't about Vista, or the burden of being the family-computer-repair guy. It's about Silverlight, Microsoft's wanna be cousin to Flash. Flash is synonymous nowadays with streaming video and crappy web-games. It's a strong platform with great tools (thanks to Adobe buying it off of Macromedia...) and adding Silverlight into the mix just adds confusion for the common user.

I'm already using Firefox because I'm sick of the "Everything and the Kitchen Sink" approach Microsoft has taken with Internet Explorer. Requiring a user that is already avoiding a specific Microsoft product to install another is plainly insulting.

Currently have 1 comments:

  1. Anonymous says:

    wow, has Bradd McBrearty's awesome life been abandoned? or are you just busy fixing the familys computers? I checked out your portfolio, very impressive... you might have to teach me some tricks. I know just how you feel when you talk abou sitting in front of the computer all day, a tutorial here and there then the day is gone... yeah thats me. and right now my day is gone so I will have to come back to your blog another time... post something new, or are you back to writing love letters? either way, have a good weekend.

Leave a Reply

Post a Comment

Bam! Have something Awesome to say? Put it here.